Proven Dropout Recovery and Prevention Strategies
Data systems identify struggling students who need early intervention.
Research suggests that the effectiveness of dropout prevention programs depends on the extent to which students are identified early, their needs are determined, and appropriate services are provided to these students.
- Ninth Grade Transition Program – National High School Center Early Warning Data System
Learning environments are challenging and personalized for each student.
Within a personalized learning environment, TEA encourages rigorous and relevant instruction to better engage students in learning academic and social skills necessary to complete high school and to prepare them for postsecondary success.
- College Readiness Initiative for Middle School Students
- Early College High Schools
- High Schools That Work
- Secondary School Redesign and Restructuring
- T-STEM Academies
Mentors are used as role models and advocates for students.
Research indicates that providing mentors or adult advocates for students at-risk of dropping out of school is an effective dropout prevention strategy to help students address academic, social, and emotional needs that are barriers to academic achievement.
- Academic Innovation and Mentoring
- Amachi Mentoring
- Collaborative Dropout Reduction Program
- Communities In Schools
- Life Skills for Student Parents
- Student Excellence and Readiness through Volunteers in Education (SERVE)
- Texas GEAR UP
Students who are behind in school receive academic support.
Providing targeted academic support can help to address skill gaps and enrich the learning environment for students who are off track and struggling.
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers
- Algebra Readiness
- Limited English Proficient Student Success Initiative
- Technology Based Supplemental Mathematics Instruction Pilot Programs
Federal and State Education Policy
SOURCE: The Texas Education Agency
Retrieved on March 1, 2015.
SOURCE LOCATION: http://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Schools/Support_for_At-Risk_Schools_and_Students/Dropout_Prevention/Proven_Dropout_Recovery_and_Prevention_Strategies/